1700 Hyde Park Rd, London, ON, N6H 5L7, 519-518-0110, Email: cornerstonequilts@execulink.com






Thursday 17 September 2015

The shop was finally quiet, enough time for lunch and to peruse two new magazines recently purchased (mags are a weakness).  My fave is Victoria - the October Special Harvest Issue is a feast for the eyes, the recipes featuring grapes was enough to make me hungry again (bad girl) and I was delighted to find a brief article featuring quilting by the Writer-in-Residence and another article from Camp Wool, featuring what-else? - wool, hand-dyed luscious, tactile wool.



The other magazine was (are you sitting down?) Southern Fall Baking.  I don't usually buy this magazine but the Caramel Layer Cake on the front cover did me in.  Recipes featuring the flavours of maple, spice, caramel, honey, fruit, nuts - all typical of Fall baking, had me literally sitting on the edge of my chair.  Fare such as Fresh Apple Cake with Orange Cream Cheese filling and Caramel Glaze, Cranberry-Ginger Bran Muffins, Cherry-Apricot Crumble Bars, White Chocolate Cranberry Toffee, the afore-mentioned Caramel Layer Cake, Maple Marshmallows (you make the marshmallow), Honey-Orange Scones with Honey Butter and Gingerbread Cupcakes with Browned Butter Maple Cream, to name a few (or too many) along with exciting photos, greeted me when I passed the obligatory index.  May try out some of these on our class participants.

 
 
I'm always interested in magazines featuring quilts/quilting when they are not noted for anything quilty, and as for the Fall baking mag, well, kudos to the photographer - it worked.
 
Feel free to check them out next time you find yourself drifting in the general direction of the magazine section.



No comments:

Post a Comment